If you can't stand the heat . . . . . .
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
TheCat
Admin
TheCat

CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE Empty
PostSubject: CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE   CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 8:15 pm

THE COST of a humble cuppa is set to soar due to a shortage of tea leaves.

It is bad news for Britain’s millions of tea drinkers with increases already being felt in supermarkets.

But consumers have so far been sheltered from the worst of the hit, according to new research.

Kenyan tea now costs 21 per cent more than it did this time last year, while Sri Lankan tea is up 25 per cent, said The Grocer trade ­magazine.

Both countries have been hit by serious supply shortages and the situation is likely to get even worse in the next month, experts have warned.

The increase has been sparked by dry weather conditions which have forced tea prices to a record high.

The UN’s Food and Agriculture Organisation has issued a warning of a “significant shortfall” because of the heatwaves and late spring rains.

And prices are already rising – as are those of milk, sugar, and coffee, according to The Grocer – putting the quintessential British experience of afternoon tea under threat. Overall, the price of tea has soared by more than a third (35 per cent) in the past year due to debilitating drought conditions across the key export countries.

Promotions involving price cuts have helped keep increases down but they can only go so far, The Grocer added.

The shortage means the price of favourite brands could rise from around £3 for a box of 160 tea bags to £3.40.

Unilever, owner of PG Tips, is raising prices by between 10 and 15 per cent on its range. Other brands are likely to ­follow.

“Major black tea-producing countries have continued to record lower production owing to dry weather conditions,” Sicily Kariuki, managing director of the Tea Board of Kenya, confirmed.

Tea traders expect prices to rise even further this summer.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/110298/Cuppa-price-to-soar-in-tea-leaf-shortage
Back to top Go down
https://cantstandtheheat.forumotion.net
TheCat
Admin
TheCat

PostSubject: Re: CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE   CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 8:17 pm

Tea is just nasty CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE 157474
Back to top Go down
lucifer

lucifer

PostSubject: Re: CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE   CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 9:53 pm

I always like to have a nice hot cup in the morning,sets you up for the day and clears you out. When the pound shop in Street was closing down they were selling of packets of eighty teabags at 25p. I cleared the shelve.
Back to top Go down
TheCat
Admin
TheCat

PostSubject: Re: CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE   CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 9:57 pm

25p each?? affraid
Back to top Go down
lucifer

lucifer

PostSubject: Re: CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE   CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 10:29 pm

Yep. Damn good value though. One teabag makes a nice strong cuppa.
Back to top Go down
Amulet

Amulet

PostSubject: Re: CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE   CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 10:53 pm

Fuck me, I can't be having with all of this. It's bad enough with Mr Am's smoking, but if his tea habit starts to cost more he'll just have to do without food.

I do love a cuppa though. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://inksideout.webplus.net/index.html
Kill All The Hippies

Kill All The Hippies

PostSubject: Re: CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE   CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 1:16 am

Amulet wrote:
Fuck me, I can't be having with all of this. It's bad enough with Mr Am's smoking, but if his tea habit starts to cost more he'll just have to do without food.

I do love a cuppa though. Very Happy

Earl Grey with soya milk - yum!

If only the tea growers and pickers could see some of the benefit.
Back to top Go down
Amulet

Amulet

PostSubject: Re: CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE   CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 1:25 am

Don't like Earl Grey, but I have a cuppa of co-op fairtrade tea with provamel soya milk and an iced ring doughnut! CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE 118978
Back to top Go down
TheCat
Admin
TheCat

PostSubject: Re: CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE   CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 1:28 am

Amulet wrote:
Don't like Earl Grey, but I have a cuppa of co-op fairtrade tea with provamel soya milk and an iced ring doughnut! CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE 118978

You were doing so well up until the ring doughnut!
Back to top Go down
Kill All The Hippies

Kill All The Hippies

PostSubject: Re: CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE   CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 1:33 am

Amulet wrote:

Why is Nisa/Heritage Foods so shit since Co-op took over? I was hoping they'd start stocking some decent vegan wines for a change, but thus far nowt.
Back to top Go down
Kill All The Hippies

Kill All The Hippies

PostSubject: Re: CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE   CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 1:35 am

TheCat wrote:
Amulet wrote:

You were doing so well up until the ring doughnut!

What about chocolate fingers?
Back to top Go down
Amulet

Amulet

PostSubject: Re: CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE   CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 1:38 am

It's early days yet. I reckon it'll get better. The salads and sandwiches they are selling are great, as are their bottled beers.
However, they do need to lay off the staff for having piercings.
Back to top Go down
Kill All The Hippies

Kill All The Hippies

PostSubject: Re: CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE   CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 1:41 am

Amulet wrote:
It's early days yet. I reckon it'll get better. The salads and sandwiches they are selling are great, as are their bottled beers.
However, they do need to lay off the staff for having piercings.

I never see the point in buying sandwiches - so much better to make your own.

And anyone with piercings deserves to be laid off I agree.
Back to top Go down
TheCat
Admin
TheCat

PostSubject: Re: CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE   CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 1:43 am

Amulet wrote:
they do need to lay off the staff for having piercings.

Do they do the piercings live in the store? Shocked
Back to top Go down
Kill All The Hippies

Kill All The Hippies

PostSubject: Re: CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE   CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 1:48 am

TheCat wrote:
Amulet wrote:
they do need to lay off the staff for having piercings.

Do they do the piercings live in the store? Shocked

Piercings while you wait!
Back to top Go down
Amulet

Amulet

PostSubject: Re: CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE   CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 1:51 am

What I meant was that they need to stop giving them grief about it, not sack them! It wasn't a problem when they were working for Nisa.

And if you want piercings while you wait, you need to wait in my studio.
Back to top Go down
Kill All The Hippies

Kill All The Hippies

PostSubject: Re: CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE   CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 1:54 am

Amulet wrote:
What I meant was that they need to stop giving them grief about it, not sack them!

I know what you meant - but you don't really expect a sensible answer from me do you?
Back to top Go down
Amulet

Amulet

PostSubject: Re: CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE   CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 1:54 am

Not from a squirrel, no.
Back to top Go down
kaz

kaz

PostSubject: Re: CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE   CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 11:22 am

TheCat wrote:
Tea is just nasty CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE 157474

Not just nasty, it's pure evil.
Back to top Go down
lucifer

lucifer

PostSubject: Re: CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE   CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 9:48 pm

What about"What about chocolate fingers".

The easy answer is to get thicker toilet paper. Now my uncle has a good deal going at the moment,it's a bogof.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE   CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CUPPA PRICE TO SOAR IN TEA LEAF SHORTAGE
Page 1 of 1