Share | 

If at first you don't succeed...

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Crick

PostSubject: If at first you don't succeed...   Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:50 am

...come back and start again!

Technically, I never really left... but the intention was there so I feel a need to start over!

For the record... without dredging up old posts and causing more drama... I was never upset at anyone and I didn't leave in a huff. I politely excused myself because I didn't think I was a good fit for this forum. Cat asked me to come back and I did... I've sat on the sidelines waiting for a chance to say something, but never felt brave enough to jump into the line of fire. Now that the firing squad is gone, I feel safe enough to step out into the open. So here's my new introduction thread:

Hello everyone! I am Cricket and I am an American... please don't hold it against me.

I am eccentric and very different from most people because I have an Autistic Spectrum Disorder called Asperger's Syndrome. Basically, this means that I was born with no social instincts. I have a hard time communicating with people and I think of the world from what some would call a "selfish perspective". I have a hard time "seeing beyond my own brain" and at times I may seem like I only care about myself... that couldn't be further from the truth. Another side effect of being an "Aspie" is that I like structure, order and sameness in my life. Some say it is because I lack control in the social part of my life, so I make up for it in the areas I can control... whatever the reason, it is a large part of what makes me who I am.

It is no secret that I have many scars and physical ailments.. I enjoy talking about them, and I don't mind having a laugh about them either. I use these as a conversation piece because the one sure thing about being human is that we all share the same body parts... since everyone has this in common it seems like a safe topic to discuss. I have been known to perseverate on some topics... all I need is a friendly nudge to remind me that I am doing so and I will be happy to stop.

On the subject of my sense of humor... being an "Aspie", I can be very literal, so I often miss the humor in everyday banter, but I can and do enjoy humor. I don't always get the joke, and when I do it's probably too late to react. A lot of times I can see what was meant to be humor but I don't find it funny... imagine how Spock reacts to Captain Kirk and you'll understand what I mean. I may not always laugh, but I am hardly ever bothered by the social act of joking around.. unless it's directed at me and I'm the only one not laughing... but I'm sure that most people don't like being the butt of a joke.

There are a lot more things that I could add here, but it's just an introduction thread... I have a thread in The Inquisitory if you want to know anything else.
Back to top Go down
Charles Henry

PostSubject: Re: If at first you don't succeed...   Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:57 am

Shall I slit my wrists now young lady?
Back to top Go down
Crick

PostSubject: Re: If at first you don't succeed...   Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:02 am

Charles Henry wrote:
Shall I slit my wrists now young lady?
I assume you're asking me if you should stick around... sometimes true meanings are affected by my literal way of thinking...

I think you're safe to stay... I had the deck stacked against me from the start.
Back to top Go down
Charles Henry

PostSubject: Re: If at first you don't succeed...   Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:08 am

I'm glad it's safe - I feel like Dustin Hoffman at the Dentist
Back to top Go down
Amulet

PostSubject: Re: If at first you don't succeed...   Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:12 am

Hi Crick, glad you're still here!
Thanks for the very explanatory intro. And good luck!!
Back to top Go down
http://inksideout.webplus.net/index.html
Crick

PostSubject: Re: If at first you don't succeed...   Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:14 am

I thought that maybe if people knew a little more about me, I might make more sense... I'm often misunderstood.
Back to top Go down
gallega100

PostSubject: Re: If at first you don't succeed...   Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:14 am

Hiya Crick, also glad you're back darling. Good on you for explaining stuff about you that some of us already knew, stuff that makes you so different and unique!!!!

It's been "fun" here tonight lol! Hope you're doing well!
Back to top Go down
Crick

PostSubject: Re: If at first you don't succeed...   Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:18 am

I am doing very well.. just a little embarassed by all the fuss that's been made. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Charles Henry

PostSubject: Re: If at first you don't succeed...   Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:20 am

I know the feeling
Back to top Go down
gallega100

PostSubject: Re: If at first you don't succeed...   Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:21 am

Don't be darling, its raised the old blood pressure a bit but seems to be calming, which hasn't happened often elsewhere when things have got stupid! Sending you flower as there's no big hugs on here!
Back to top Go down
Charles Henry

PostSubject: Re: If at first you don't succeed...   Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:23 am

Thanks, I'm flattered, and I haven't even got to know you properly yet. I'm sure that can change though.
Back to top Go down
gallega100

PostSubject: Re: If at first you don't succeed...   Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:25 am

Wink Laughing
Back to top Go down
Crick

PostSubject: Re: If at first you don't succeed...   Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:32 am

Thanks gallega... allow me to send you something in return... sunny

..I don't like hugs, so I'm glad we don't have them here... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dave Larkhall

PostSubject: Re: If at first you don't succeed...   Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:36 am

Everyone should have a hug every day. Makes you feel loved.
Back to top Go down
Crick

PostSubject: Re: If at first you don't succeed...   Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:38 am

Dave Larkhall wrote:
Everyone should have a hug every day. Makes you feel loved.
Very true Dave... that's why I suffer through them... but I'm still glad we don't have the option of hugging each other here. Wink
Back to top Go down
Charles Henry

PostSubject: Re: If at first you don't succeed...   Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:39 am

You big softie Dave.
Back to top Go down
Dave Larkhall

PostSubject: Re: If at first you don't succeed...   Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:47 am

Ah just testing CH. You made out you went to bed you sneaky thing you.

Anyway Im going now so cojones to you.
Back to top Go down
Charles Henry

PostSubject: Re: If at first you don't succeed...   Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:49 am

I really am going now. It has been a pleasurable experience.

I shall maybe return when the Western Morning News gets boring.
Back to top Go down
Dave Larkhall

PostSubject: Re: If at first you don't succeed...   Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:52 am

See you tomorrow then.
Back to top Go down
Charles Henry

PostSubject: Re: If at first you don't succeed...   Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:53 am

Alas not.
Back to top Go down
The-duke66

PostSubject: Re: If at first you don't succeed...   Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:21 am

Glad to see you back Crick, I was a bit confused when i come on here yesterday but i think i understand now. scratch
Back to top Go down
Tom Stephenson

PostSubject: Re: If at first you don't succeed...   Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:36 am

Why didn't you mention the Asperger's at the beginning, Crick, instead of putting on the end of a list of other conditions? Actually, I suppose there's no reason why you should have - I've never mentioned the cause of my difficulties in dealing with other people, mainly because I don't think it would have helped.

You have to know the person in the true story coming up (Justice has met him in the pub before, but too late now he's banned), but I'm going to tell it anyway. He hates noisy children (despite being a 62 year old, noisy child himself) and was getting pissed off with one running past him in a pub garden last week. He grabbed the child (!) and loudly told him to shut up and calm down. His parents (!!) called out that he had Asperger's, so leave him alone. My mate said, "I don't care what he's had to eat - tell him to keep quiet!" True story about my mate who is a bit like Colonel Blimp.
Back to top Go down
The-duke66

PostSubject: Re: If at first you don't succeed...   Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:51 am

Tom Stephenson wrote:
Why didn't you mention the Asperger's at the beginning, Crick, instead of putting on the end of a list of other conditions? Actually, I suppose there's no reason why you should have - I've never mentioned the cause of my difficulties in dealing with other people, mainly because I don't think it would have helped.

You have to know the person in the true story coming up (Justice has met him in the pub before, but too late now he's banned), but I'm going to tell it anyway. He hates noisy children (despite being a 62 year old, noisy child himself) and was getting pissed off with one running past him in a pub garden last week. He grabbed the child (!) and loudly told him to shut up and calm down. His parents (!!) called out that he had Asperger's, so leave him alone. My mate said, "I don't care what he's had to eat - tell him to keep quiet!" True story about my mate who is a bit like Colonel Blimp.
Are you sure thats not a joke Tom cos i know one thats basically the same Suspect anyway i hate kids (theres that word again) who are noisy and run around in public, i dont care whats wrong with them if the parents cant control them they shouldn't have them.
But about your friend he should of had ago at the parents not the child, believe me if he had grabbed my child i would have broke his jaw before he said a word.
Sorry for going of topic. Rolling Eyes i love that smiley.
Back to top Go down
Tom Stephenson

PostSubject: Re: If at first you don't succeed...   Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:02 pm

It's not the first time it's happened - he shouted at a kid with Down's Sydrome in a pub garden once, who was making a lot of noise. He's been hit by parents before too, but it didn't do any good - he's got his own condition to deal with!
Back to top Go down
The-duke66

PostSubject: Re: If at first you don't succeed...   Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:05 pm

Tom Stephenson wrote:
It's not the first time it's happened - he shouted at a kid with Down's Sydrome in a pub garden once, who was making a lot of noise. He's been hit by parents before too, but it didn't do any good - he's got his own condition to deal with!
O dear he does seem to have a problem, do you just go for a drink with him to see what happens?
Sort of light the fuse and stand back?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If at first you don't succeed...   

Back to top Go down

If at first you don't succeed...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
If you can't stand the heat . . . . . .  :: Welcome :: Reception-
Jump to: